Tuesday 13 August 2024

"Ka Chi Foo"

"Ka Chi Foo"

There were lonely days sown in this dark corners,

Where I started my walk through life.

I remember them vividly like the sound of my first name TOCHUKWU in the mouths of my busybody neighbours.


I saw the wall yawn with hunger

As it reflected the images in my belly

I knew I could drown and die in the tears that Lay with me like a lake full of sharks.


The nights were so long with the constant filtering of noise by nocturnal creatures

The dawn was so far beyond my reach

No plea could ever bring it closer.


I had a neighbour more like a brother

Our names both had a T although his had life in it than God: TONDU.

He kept his affluence behind close doors

And constantly handed me a feigned pity. 

And yes, I took it.


I had a lover. Had like past possession.

She hid in the dark. I heard her voice faintly but loud were her straying and fleeing steps

My heart flutter, not of excitement but fear.


I had hope with smouldering coals

I kept fanning its embers 

They kept my heart warm

So I hoped that it wouldn't take long

The cock will crow

Ka chi wee foo na ndu m







No comments:

Post a Comment

"Ibe"

 "Ibe" Ibem, my mates have moved on... Their journey tracing the barely travelled paths.  I tried to whet my feet on the stones of...